Matt announces "that man is REAALLYY old." I shushed him of course and explained that
what he is saying may hurt the nice man's feelings. Matt said "yeah, because he's sad that he's old, and I'm really sad too." I told Matt that it's not sad to be old, that he probably has great- grandchildren and a nice family. He explained that "some people think it's sad to be old." Ok, he got me on that one :)
About an hour later we saw another old man, Matthew picked the conversation right back up
and said "It is sad to be old because it's very sad when people die."
I wish you can see Matt's facial expression when he is explaining something. His eyes grow to twice their size, he points one finger in the air and speaks in a slightly higher pitch while stretching his words way out...it's pretty cute!
I remember not feeling comfortable around old people when I was a child. I really thought they were just about to die and it made me sad. One man in particular was a friend of my parents named Jim Shaw (he was only in his late 50's but he had white hair and full white beard). He looked so very old and I had such anxiety about his impending death. I mean I was really worried about it whenever I was around him. Happily, he had another 25+ years and just recently passed away.
"Somewhere between
happy and sad
she thinks about life
and death
and what makes the world go around...."
happy and sad
she thinks about life
and death
and what makes the world go around...."
No comments:
Post a Comment