Tuesday, September 7, 2010

king with a crown

So, I was putting groceries in the trunk of my car, when I noticed a small piece of green paper. It got my attention because it had the imprint of a crown and looked like something that was sent home from school.

In a tiny, impossibly squiggly font it read...

In P.E. class your child was chosen as king for the noblesse oblige behavior choices he makes. Noblesse oblige is a French phrase that means 'noble obligation'. True royalty makes honorable, generous and responsible choices. The classroom teacher was consulted that the student exhibits noble manners during the entire school day. It is a joy teaching your child.

Right then and there came the tears. It was like all the bottled up feelings of sadness, anxiety and guilt over my kids starting over, just kinda made their way to being a big lump in my throat.
I hate that feeling of stinging tears shouting "let me out, who cares about dignity anymore?!?!"
I almost couldn't believe what I was reading- his teacher had just pronounced a blessing over him, and any other child that she gave this to.
"true royalty"
"it's a joy to teach your child"
What wonderful things to say in a world that almost never feels uplifting.

I just can't get over the sweetness of God doing something just for me. Matthew doesn't really care about a piece of green paper, I'm sure a lot of parents threw it away without even reading it. But for me, it felt like a treasure- buried under the contents of my trunk.

I pray everyday for my kids to feel appreciated and that they belong. What a nice little reminder that God hears my prayers.

No comments: