And by "we," I mean Alexandria and her 8th grade classmates.
She had her first (non-sponsored)school dance on Friday night.
I never went to school dances, except for my senior prom.
I was more of a house-party girl and because of that, I am definitely encouraging the school parties; even if they're non-sponsored. I'll pay the money just to keep my kid away from house-parties.
It was totally bittersweet to drop her off.
I advised her to just dance because everybody has more fun when they're dancing.
She had a little mini panic attack, and while I basically forced her out of the car, I thought about how she is so much braver than me.
I parked in the grass because the Volvo is pretty much to the point of embarrassing both of us.
I watched her walk in, high-heels sinking in the dirt with every step. I gave her a few minutes to decide if she really wanted to stay, and then I left for 2.5 hours.
In these moments, it hits me like a ton of bricks; I'm the mom now.
But wait, I was just in high-school.
She starts high-school in 3 months.
Dear Aiya,
Enjoy your youth, little bird.
It's beautiful and fleeting.
Go and make the best friends you'll ever have.
Laugh, and dance, and sing, and splash in the ocean.
Just be free, and wise as you can be.
I'll always be waiting for you to come home.
-mom
No comments:
Post a Comment