Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fake it till you make it.

If all goes well, I'll be applying for the nursing program this time next year.
I almost can't admit that there's an end in sight; that I'm so close to my goal, I can taste it.
It feels like I'm being too vulnerable, and a part of me wants to make a disclaimer statement. You know, just incase something goes wrong.

I met with an advisor last week and she broke down the classes I still need over the next three terms.
There it was on paper; no denying that I'm making progress.
She made a big fuss over my 4.0. I had to force myself to take the compliment. I really wanted to tell her that I'm just faking it. That none of this is real.
Wouldn't that have been funny?!

Truth is, the writing based courses were so easy, I can't imagine not getting a A's. It's these science based courses that I'm worried about. I could write papers about Roman culture , or Sigmund Freud's theories all day, but understanding carbon bonds and the breakdown of complex fatty acids? What, what?

A nurse midwife I used to work with told me she faked her way through nursing school without ever learning how to take blood pressure. She said one day it just clicked for her, but until that point, she had to fake it.

That example has kept me in the game. Everybody learns in a different way; meanwhile, we have to make ourselves fit into the box when necessary.
I was born a nurse, I've always been a nurse at heart.
The rest is just a technicality.
And I'm gonna fake it till I make it.


No comments: