Saturday, February 22, 2014

So Whatcha' Want?


Some days, I get in a certain mood where I need something, but I don't know what it is.
I find myself brainlessly staring at my phone as if it's going to give me an answer. 
It's basically trying to cure information overload with more information. 
And it always leaves me feeling empty.

I'm so thankful for my iphone, but I see the toll that constant information takes on my introvert self. It sucks the life force out of me, and yet, I keep coming back for more.
The screen has a "moth-to-the-flame" effect on me and I feel so ashamed because I'm not a moth. 
What is this power of light that captivates us?
What is this unquenchable thirst for information?

This isn't some technology bashing party. I love technology.
I can learn algebra without being away from my children.
I can see my nieces and nephews grow up even though they're hundreds of miles away.
I can keep in touch with my treasured friends.
I can face-time with my mom.
I can pay a bill without needing a stamp.
I can take unlimited pictures. 

I just don't like the hold it has on me. 

Today, I was really needing some reassurance. 
I sent a text and was feeling desperate waiting for a response.
Finally, the response came and although it was lovely,
I still felt empty. 

Then, I heard the Lord speak to me by using some of my favorite lyrics from the 90's.
"where do you get your information from, huh?"
Yes, God used beastie boys lyrics to get my attention. 
He can, after all, do whatever he wants because he's God. 

So naturally, I opened my bible app. LOL
There it was, the verse of the day, and per usual, it spoke to EXACTLY what I was needing reassurance about. 
Why didn't I start there?
Who knows.
But my father will do what he's gotta do to make sure I end up there.
At his feet, humbled by his love for me. 

We're all living in the information age, but we do have a choice. 

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Philippians 4:8 

No comments: