A very dear friend of my family died this week.
I haven't seen him in a few years, but his presence was a staple in my childhood.
They were friends like people don't seem to have anymore.
They lived down the street; they came over for dinner for no special reason.
His kids were like my own siblings.
He was the kind of guy that was quiet, but he smiled with his eyes and you instantly felt the warmth of his heart.
He was gentle and kind, and I'll never forget him.
The worse part for me, it's a reminder that parents are mortal.
We are all mortal.
A few times this week my mind has drifted away to losing a family member.
That's a extremely dark place to be, but it's inevitable.
I hate death.
I hate funerals.
As Matthew put so eloquently at age 3,
"It's sad when people get old because some people think it's really sad when people die."
You're right, Matthew.
And I'm definitely one of those people.
"To me, fair friend, you never can be old,
for as you were when first your eye I eyed,
such seems your beauty still."
Shakespeare sonnet 104
No comments:
Post a Comment