Friday, October 7, 2011

hello.

Hello from the whirlwind that is my life.
It's after seven in the evening, but it feels like 4 o'clock in the afternoon.
I love days like this.
Days when you aren't just waiting for it to be bedtime for the kids, days when dinnertime sneaks up and nobody is even hungry.

I feel so proud of myself, and I figured I might better write about it before that changes.
I just feel like I'm balancing everything ok right now, and that makes me happy.

As you might know, I'm taking online classes.
I've set aside 3 wekly allotments of time and that is when I do school.
Last semester, with the novelty and slight paranoia, I felt like it ruled my life.
I spent almost all of my home-time obsessing over essays or discussion questions.
I didn't take any cues when I was losing focus that it might be time for a break.
I would get so strung out with mental exhaustion that I wasn't even being productive.
It wasn't that I had a lot to do, I was just really slow. And obsessive. And consumed.
Now, I give myself the appropriate amount of time to complete my work and that's it.
I guess I'm learning how to work with myself, getting my grove, enforcing limits on myself.
The expression "work smarter not harder" comes to mind.

The kids are doing amazing in school. I am really proud of them.
The have gone into a school that is approximately one year above grade level in all subjects.
Math is really the only challenge for my middle schoolers, but that is getting better with some tutoring.
They really impress me when it comes to social skills and just being nice people.
Something that I think is just as important as being well educated.

No comments: