My dear friend and former co-worker, Eric, had died.
He was standing on his feet one minute, collapsed the next.
At first, I was obviously in shock.
I felt the need to go outside, I don't know why.
It just felt like it was too much energy for my little house to contain. I needed to breathe.
I called my friend, Michelle, and we talked for a while.
Michelle, Eric, and I all worked together, and we had a special bond.
I came back inside, and that's when the tears hit.
That's when I realized that I'd never see my friend again.
What followed next was a lot of sobbing, and telling Carlos my long list of reasons why I loved Eric so much. Carlos happened to know and love Eric as well, so he just listened and nodded his head while I rambled on.
I know I probably sounded like I was over explaining, that's probably because Eric and I were unlikely friends.
But what y'all have to know is that my Starbucks family kept me going during a very hard time in my life. They were a gift to me. Sure, we had our own blend of dysfunction, but what family doesn't?
Eric was a 20-something gamer, proud to be born on halloween.
He was the most hilarious, intelligent, awkward, tenderhearted guy.
He'd tell me things like "every time I watch an action hero movie, I ask myself if it's an ok movie for your kids to see." He never steered me wrong, either.
He'd give my kids video games he didn't want anymore even though he could have traded them in for money.
Once, I dropped my car keys into a trash can of rancid whipped cream and other disgusting things, and he went in after them.
He was an old fashioned southern gentlemen.
He'd never give any of us girls a hug because he was afraid he'd "accidentally grab our boobs."
He'd throw himself into a violent wall hug to avoid any inappropriate contact when he's go around the corner at the same time as anybody else.
He would occasionally get off the mountain dew and it would result in the "fun bobby" affect.
Theres a thousand funny, happy, sweet memories that I have of Eric.
I will cherish them forever.
Rest in peace, Eric.
And from the bottom of my heart, thank you for being my friend.
I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment