Saturday, December 1, 2012

A few months ago, I wrote about my uncle, David.
Shortly after that, he fell ill.
His lungs were failing; he was wracked with infection.
I never had the guts to go see him in the hospital. I'm a wimp, really.
It broke my heart enough to see him walking down the street, and how much he'd aged, and how little I knew him. I just couldn't bring myself to go see him. It seems silly, but I just couldn't do it.

On thanksgiving day, my mom was down for a visit. She had seen David the day before and was showing us some pictures. She was marveling at how much he's improved since he was transferred to a rehab facility. Alexandria saw the picture and her eyes filled with tears. She hyperventilated, the way she does she she sees a bunny or something else that melts her heart. She announced that he was adorable and she wanted to meet him, and that he looked like Bob Dylan (she's obsessed.) She just fell in love with that picture of her great-uncle, who I call the original hipster. Alexandria has always been braver than me, and occasionally it challenges me. With every bit of dread in my soul, I agreed to go.

Once we were there, I had no idea why I waited so long. He greeted us, and scarfed down the piece of pumpkin pie we brought him. He apologized for eating in front of us (heart melt.) He was asking my mom what had happened to him; he was trying to piece together the last few months.
Everything he said was so adorable to me. It's this strange mix of insanity and sincerity that equals this beautiful vulnerability. We talked for a while and then he asked for someone to please bring him some shampoo. I could tell how badly he wanted to wash his hair, and strangely, in that moment, I realized how alike we are.  If there's one thing I hate, it's the minute I've gone too long without washing my hair. There's basic human needs that bind us together, like a clean scalp; even more, we share the same blood.

Something happened in my heart during that visit. The only way I can describe it is a renewed love. For him, for family, for the process of taking care of one another.

Sadly, he's taken a turn for the worse and is now in hospice care. I've been at his bedside, and I'll return again later today. It's an honor to be there and help in any way I can. He's barely hanging on, but you can feel that he is a fighter and he incredibly, incredibly strong. I am in awe of him and of my uncle Brad, aunt Kacie, and my mother. They're all doing what they can for their beloved brother.
When it all comes down, love is everything we need.


No comments: