Recently, I've reconnected with a long-lost friend.
The lost part was completely my doing as I checked out for a while. When I gathered the courage to make amends, she was gracious and forgiving. In fact, she has always been a fortress of grace, and she challenges me to be the same.
What has caught me by surprise the most is how quickly we found our former rhythm. The flow of conversation, which weaves between decades and back-stories, history and hopes for the future. Some might call it bunny trails, and maybe get lost in the flow. But for me, it's like a dance. A dance of friendship that spans over 2 decades, 6 pregnancies, countless ups and downs of life.
I look at her and she just knows, and vise-versa.
I'm sad for the years I missed, but it somehow makes it better because with absence came knowing that what we have is magic. Our friendship could never be replicated or replaced. It is patient for the seasons of life. It is not dependent, but giving.
I love us. I love our families that have grown and changed. Our tiny babies that used to nurse 24/7 are now taller than us, more beautiful than us, funnier than us.
We are so different, but tonight when we sat around the table there was a certain feeling of destiny.
We are bonded for life, together forever, and it's magic.
No comments:
Post a Comment