Wednesday, November 28, 2007

where's the love?


I once had a goldfish that lived for 13 years his name was fish...he had a friend who died at a much younger age...his name was chips.
Fish moved with me to 3 different homes the third is where he met his demise when my apt was fumigated and I didn't cover the tank to keep out the fumes. I didn't really LOVE fish but I'm a loyal person so I fed him and kept his tank clean...I loved the idea that I could keep a goldfish alive for so long. It always made for an interesting conversations when people saw him...his age showed towards the end when he appeared to have cataracts and he went almost colorless.
I find myself in a similar situation with my turtle "Yertle" She is about 10 years old...maybe 9. My mother had gone through a "turtle faze" after her "finch faze" and she gave us Yertle as a gift. She's been hanging out in her tank all this time with occasional outings. And now I'm starting to wonder if we should set her free.
I think my kids may be sad if we do but I can't help thinking that Yertle is bored and sad. But could she survive in the wild? I'm just not sure. This is the burden of pet loyalty...


No comments: