Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Broken Heart.

broken heart

There are times as a mother when your heart just breaks.
Matthew ( my tough one) got hurt today.
We were in a store and he was patiently standing next to me as
I browsed through a rack of jeans.
I heard this little whimper, he had hurt his toe on the bottom of the rack (he was wearing flip-flops.)
It's actually really bad. It pulled his toenail back, I'll spare you the gory details.
He was so brave and didn't cry...that's what made it so sad. Seeing him trying so hard to hold it all in. I can really relate to that.
I think about all the times when he has misbehaved in stores, hiding in the clothes,
setting off alarms, throwing fits, you name it.
Would I have been sad if he hurt himself on any of those occasions? Yes, a little bit, but that is what happens when children act crazy.
But today he was being so sweet.
And it truly was just one of those weird little things that happen for no reason.
I carried him through the mall,
usually he's way to heavy for me to carry
but today he felt so light and little.
We stopped by Ben&Jerry's for Free Cone Day (the reason we went to the mall in the first place) and now we're home and slowly his big smile has returned and so I'm feeling better too.

2 comments:

[carlos] said...

i love him

Anonymous said...

he's cool.

-jon