Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mr. Henry Martin

I was thinking today about my great- grandfather.
He was the only war hero I've ever personally known.
He lived to be 97.
I remember so specifically what visits with him were like.
I can remember everything- even the smell of his house.
And my great-grandmother Viola-what a beauty.
She's one of the queens that has gone before us.

When they were engaged to be married, they got into a car accident,
which chipped her diamond ring, and landed them in the hospital (where they were later married.)
Yeah, they got married in a hospital.

He had the ability to add dry wit to just about everything he said.
And their life was full of great stories.
They were homesteaders.
Had two boys & two girls.
He was a lawyer.
They were spectacular.

At his funeral, they read a letter that he wrote to his mother-telling her about Viola.
I had never heard anything so charming in life...I will have to see about getting a copy of it.

I was telling Abraham about him today. He was transfixed.
I wish I knew more.

Moral of the story...don't let your moments with your grandparents go by too quickly.
I remind my husband every time he gets a card or a call from his grandmother how blessed he is. Every year, her handwriting gets a little more squiggly- and it breaks my heart.

This is my advice, for anyone blessed enough to still have their grandparents around...
Close you're eyes tight and take in the sound of their voice.
Look deeply into their eyes.
Listen to their stories-write them down.
Keep their handwritten notes or letters.
Take pictures.
Tell them how you feel about them.
Ask them questions.
Pray that you will inherit their virtues, and are free from their vices.
And enjoy every minute.

Some of the greatest talks I've ever had were with my grandparents.

No comments: