Thursday, July 14, 2011

For them.

I'm not going to lie, having 3 kids on summer break, working 30 hours and taking 10 hours of classes a week isn't always easy. It's been somewhat easier than I thought it would be, but the worse part is feeling like my kids are having a boring summer break.
Today, I took them to work with me from 9-11:30, so they wouldn't be home alone all morning.
I rushed to get lunch and drop them off before my 12:30 class.
I gave Alexandria the house keys and watched them walk towards the house, fast food lunch in tow.
I felt so guilty in that moment.

Something I really don't like about our house is that the front door is not visible from the street. I couldn't see if they had gotten in, and I hated myself for not just taking the time to walk them to the door. I hate feeling like I'm putting other things before my kids; It just goes against everything in me.
I called Abraham, and he informed me that they got in, locked the door behind them, and let the dog out back. I told him that I was just checking and to be good. Then, in typical Abraham fashion he said something that made me laugh. He said: "ok, you be good, too, and stay in school." What a funny guy. A funny, sweet, intuitive guy.

So I went to class, rushed, overwhelmed, mommy guilt in tow.
I waited almost 30 minutes for the professor to get there.
sigh.

Our warm up was to write about something that we'd rather be doing than be in class.
I wrote about how I'd rather be out enjoying summer with my kids, but how they seem to know that I'm doing this for them.
for future family vacations.
for car insurance when they're 16.
for senior cap and gowns.
for college.
for wedding cakes.

For them.




1 comment:

Dream Stela said...

Oh bless. Your kids are so grown.