I knew it was coming; I had been stewing over it all weekend.
The 3 hour class was almost over when he finally passed them out.
The professor is super methodical and almost ceremonial; which I happen to love.
He spent about 20 minutes reviewing the codes we might find on our graded paper.
Things such as: a circle for an error inside of a sentence, and upside down cross for a run-on, frag for a fragmented sentence. Wrdy was code for wordy, and awk was code for awkward; I think that I am probably both of those things most of the time.
He reminded us of the 20 point grading system where only a 19 & 20 are an A.
My palms were sweating as I envisioned my paper doused with marks and red ink.
I kept telling myself that this is just my first essay, it's a learning experience.
Originally, I thought I had done well, but my confidence was waining, and for the first time his over-explaining was really getting on my nerves. I wanted my paper!
Finally he began to pass them out; mine was probably the 4th one. I looked over the first page; it had no codes. The second page had no codes. The third page, again, no codes. At this point, I was very confused. Finally, on the last page I saw this:
I still cant quite believe it.
I could feel the dread of the guy next to me who got a D; I've been there a time or two. The professor walked around and gave people feedback. I felt as if the room was spinning. I've never gotten a perfect score on something as subjective as an essay. It was surreal.
I worked really, really hard on this paper. It was a very personal topic. I read it so many times that I absolutely hated it. I turned it in because I had to. I got it back and now it makes me proud.
It feels really nice to get a good grade.
the end.
1 comment:
"I read it so many times that I absolutely hated it. I turned it in because I had to."
That's how you know when it's done, in my experience. It's kind of like sticking a toothpick into a cupcake, except that you don't get a cupcake. You just get to do another paper.
Post a Comment