I picked up some reading glasses at the pharmacy today. You know, to layer with my contact lenses.
Apparently, when you're 40something, your vision can change overnight. Which is exactly what happened to me this week. My distance vision is fine, but trying to read? Forget about it.
Oh aging, you won't get the best of me. I will rise up to meet you at every turn.
Speaking of vision, I've been pondering a lot of things recently. It seems that the spring is when I reassess everything. I always seem to slump in the winter and rally in the spring. So here I am, rallying. I'm realizing I have a lot on my plate, and being intentional to not only validate that for myself, but to honor the state I'm in. It's seems simple, and maybe a cliche, but you wouldn't believe how hard I am on myself. Why can't I get it together? Why do I procrastinate? Why, why, why?
And even with the Lord whispering sweet nothings in my ear..."you're my daughter and I'm pleased with you." Still, I'm so unforgiving.
Women get so blinded by the pressure we put on ourselves. We're hyper aware of our shortcomings while never grasping the magnitude of the load we carry, and all the things we do so perfectly. We shame ourselves, we dont remember we are temples. We should wear motherhood like a string of pearls; heads held high. Instead, we cower because we just want to do better.
Ladies, I'm just gonna say it, we need to change our inner dialogue.
What if we start giving ourselves a break? What if we start being sweet to ourselves? Can you imagine the force we would awaken in our lives?
So check your stats; run the numbers. Stand back and marvel at what you're accomplishing.
I am raising 3 teenagers (who happen to be awesome.) I'm keeping a house, planning and preparing meals, doing all the shopping, making time for friends, I'm approaching my 20th year of happy marriage, working almost full time. I'm doing a lot of important stuff!
All this being said, I've decided to lighten my load when it comes to finishing school. I'm shifting my major from Occupational Therapy (RIP, I was so excited about you) to massage therapy. Although I don't see this as a step down, it's easier to get in and to finish. I just want to get this show on the road and put my hands to work in a healing way.
I always say, the beauty of being 30 is enjoying all the lessons you learned in your 20's. (Like boundaries- holler!) Maybe the beauty of being 40 is enjoying being yourself. Even with my declining vision, I have a new clarity and perspective. This priceless gift that comes with time; therefore, aging is my friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment