My neighbor was robbed last night by people he had tried to lend a helping hand. As I was offering him my condolences, he told me, "you can't love the unlovely and come out unscathed. It's just the price of a Christian life." I was so impressed by his perspective. After our talk, I wished him well and went about my day.
A few hours later, I was grumbling to the Lord about how I've been mistreated in a certain situation. Basically, I had extended a genuine, heartfelt gesture and it came back empty. I sulked and complained of how much I've invested into this relationship and now, I'm treated this way! Suddenly, I remembered my neighbor's wise words and it really stopped me in my tracks. You can't love and come out unscathed. But I will still love, and keep no record of wrong done to me.
Father, forgive my trespasses, as I forgive those who have trespassed against me.
I'm going to be genuine, heartfelt and loving no matter the outcome. It's evidence that You dwell in my heart. It's an honor to love, not just an obligation.
So thank you, neighbor and also a special thank you to the one who hurt me. You are my teachers and I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment