So when I heard about "Free Mocha Monday"
I knew it was my opportunity to see what my (sbux's) competition is up to.
I will begin this review, by admitting that I do not drink espresso very much.
My chosen sbux drinks are caffe' mistos or iced coffee with milk.
I have come to love brewed coffee, and the fact that these drinks have a fourth of the milk than a latte, settles better with my belly. (and they're way cheaper)
But, I have tried iced mochas from sbux many times, and I wanted to see how they compare.
Alexandria, Matthew & I got a sample and, well...we liked it.
I will say that iced espresso beverages are a little more fool-proof. You don't run the risk of the milk being burnt or re-steamed, etc. I'm not sure if I would like the hot one.
The 7 oz sample I was given, tasted very strong like espresso, with bittersweet chocolate and yummy whipped cream.
It was a little smoother than ours, I'm pretty sure they use chocolate syrup.
We use mocha that we mix each day, it's cocoa and powered sugar.
(I think it's a little gritty in cold drinks)
It took FOREVER for them to make it, I can't imagine how much
it would back up the drive- thru if they had a long line of cafe' drinks to make.
They don't have the good ice that we have, it melted very quickly-but I'm an ice freak,
I like lots of ice.
And who knows if their water is triple filtered like ours- something tells me it's not.
I think it's probably perfect for coffee light-weights...I'm pretty sure that Mc'baristas would frown upon complicated orders.
Alexandria liked it okay, she thought it was a little too bitter.She also thinks free samples should be bigger- entitlement issues much?
Matthew, who pretty much drinks straight espresso, enjoyed it.He added "The roasty, full bodied espresso pairs well with chocolate. The low acidity and earthy undertones delight the palate- as it finishes clean and smooth." Just kidding- he asked for a happy meal to go with it.
Bottom line, If I was traveling, and there wasn't a sbux around, I would buy an iced mocha from this place- maybe.
And just in case you didn't know- Howard is the CEO of sbux.
No comments:
Post a Comment