Thursday, December 10, 2009

marked.

So, I'm 35 now.
Everyone tells me I don't look it.
What does a 35 year old look like, anyway?
I guess it just kinda depends.
I don't drink, smoke, or chew (or go with boys that do.)
I get enough sleep, I'm happy. Sure, I'm a little bigger than I wish I was...but I work a crazy retail schedule and spend 35ish hours a week making versions of things you'd find at dairy queen, and within 3 steps to a pastry case...so...

Overall, I think life is just getting better.
I'm a little more wise, a lot more compassionate, and I'm still me.
I regress to a 17 year old at the first chime of a REM or Cure song, so as long as I'm still in touch with those emotions, I can handle this gettin' older stuff.

I wanted to document something in my life, I wanted to mark the date of December 4, 2009.
It was the day before I was officially in my mid-30's and I didn't want to forget it. Every day leading up to it had compiled, and layered, and left me confident in the never ending faithfulness of God. I have for a long time, thought of myself as a bird. After all, I am free. I am taken care of. I am loved by my heavenly father. God has used his creation to inspire and remind me...his eyes are on the sparrow, and I know He's watching me.

So, I documented the day by getting a sparrow permanently embedded on my foot. It is my mark. I am a bird, and He is my home.

Even the sparrow finds a home,
and the swallow builds her nest
and raises her young at a place near your altar...Psalms 84:3