Wednesday, July 2, 2008

life lessons courtesy of Stella Mae...

when visiting grandma Stella
it was usually unannounced
otherwise she'd cook
a roast, a ham, and 3 kinds of pie,
expect for you to eat it all
then call you fat.
so we didn't usually tell her we were coming
just dropped by.
rude i guess.
but she was always prepared,
dressed,
clean house,
the works.

I apparently did not inherit her self discipline.

the doorbell rang this morning
and it went something like this:

2 kids standing on the couch looking through the blinds
1 schnauzer going psycho killer guard dog
1 silly mom looking out the peephole thinking it was the lawn guy coming for his check. (no problem he's seen us in our crazy state before)
1 tween already dressed being told to let him know I'd be right there with his money... "it's not him" she says...

dread.

it was the power guy
I scroll my brain trying to remember if I paid the bill,
YES!!! paid.
shew.

upgrades to the gas he said
then he'd be in to relight the pilot.
"cool" I said with a petrified grin.

for anyone who may remember
the PBS show "big comfy couch"
I performed an exaggerated version of a 10 second tidy
and restrained the dog...

doorbell again.
so soon?
I showed him to the water heater.
he had a huge box of matches.
He was a good ol' boy
probably thinks women should keep the house clean.

thankfully Matthew had put his shorts on.
"sorry for the craziness" I said.
I was embarrassed.
so I also told him
we weren't expecting anyone...
just in case he didn't realize
we were caught off guard.

He hesitantly chuckled,
and went on his way.

No comments: