Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Until we get there.

Ive been thinking a lot about how difficult it is to raise a melancholy child.
Being a melancholy person myself, I understand why he feels the way he does, but I also see what a drag it is to be so negative.

Although I'm thankful that I come from community of people who would take a bullet before they'd make a negative confession, it always seemed to me that the extremes of positivity undermines reality. In my adult life I've implemented more of a "keeping it real" approach- although I do believe in the power of words.
I'm teaching my son to use restraint in verbalizing negativity but I don't expect him to be some kind of name.it.and.claim.it robot.
I'm constantly teaching him to look for the good,
the happy,
the beautiful.

Maybe one day I can write a best selling book about parenting a melancholy child- I'm going to call it "Raising Eeyore." ©
I guess I'll probably have to pay royalties to Christopher Robin.

Good parenting teaches the child to balance what nature gave them with the laws of nature. Good parenting also has to be custom fit to each child's learning style, love language, and personality type. If parents fall short, their kids feel it for the rest of their lives.

No big deal.

I'm still sorting stuff out and I'm 36. I'm still learning why I react to things the way I do, and what sparks certain feelings. We all need healing in one way or another. Until we get there, there's a lot of insult on injury- and people don't even know. Some issues are a matter of personality and some are circumstance. A lot of it is our own expectations being to high for ourselves and for others.

We will figure it out one day- just in time to share priceless tidbits with our grandchildren. We'll be the quiet champions that have all the answers- but know it best to let them learn for themselves.

Until we get there...

Sigh.

No comments: