My friend, Chris (the husband of my friend/co-worker and beautifully- pregnant Michelle) tried to reply to my 'saved' post, but he couldn't get it to work- he's not all that good with computers, bless him. (just kidding, he's brilliant, and funny.)
I enjoyed what he said, and how he said it. I'm all like "blah, blah, blah warm and fuzzy this & that." And he's all pristine.
"technical sub-debate?" I want one of those. LOL.
Anyway, here's his reply.
Thanks Chris!
"From a strictly technical perspective, I clearly and apologetically prefer digital formats to analog. There is a lot of technical sub-debate, especially regarding "the loudness war" (google it), but that's all beside the point.
As an experience, however, I definitely prefer vinyl to just about anything else. I like the tactile nature of picking a record, unsleeving it, and dropping the needle, but I also like that vinyl forces you to be more deliberate in what you listen to and when you listen to it. Any schmuck and shuffle up an album from iTunes and pipe it over the network to the house, but that sort of takes the soul out of the relationship between me and my music.
Vinyl is to digital audio what hand-written letter have become to email. It's archaic, inefficient, and inconvenient, but none of that matters. Sometimes, it's just plain *better*. Now I just need to get that turntable at the house back into some sort of working order.
I could go on for a while, but I'll shut up now. :) I smell a blog post on this in the near future."
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment