Monday, March 15, 2010

saved

So, this morning, I've been listening to Bob Dylan 'Saved' on vinyl. I forgot how good vinyl sounds- so warm and cozy. The music just kinda sits on your chest. Like how you can feel a hug for a few minutes after it's over- you can feel the music. It's brings the experience of listening to music back, and you realize analog wasn't all that bad. Sure, digital is shiny and less resistant to ware, but it's not authentic. It's fancy and predictable. Digital might makes us feel smart, but does it make us feel special?

I think If I had a choice to be old vinyl or a new cd, I'd chose to be vinyl. Even though the bright and shiny things may get the first glance, there's a quiet confidence that comes with being tried and true.

Carlos and I always laugh at the line from 'Ocean's 11' that says, "I'm an analog player in a digital world." I think it's more profound than we realized. Young or old, new or used, we've got to be true to ourselves. Whether we find our treasures under the neon lights of big-box retail, or searching for hours in a secondhand store...just be real. Just be you.

No comments: