Carlos was folding laundry when he held up a tiny, yellow, faded Curious George shirt. When I saw it, I said something like "oh sweet Lord in heaven." It just brought back so many memories.
I remember Alexandria falling in love with this shirt at Target when she was about 2, and although I've never been a big fan of character t-shirts, I've given in to my children on too many occasions to count. (Like when Matthew wore a shirt depicting every member of the nintendo family on his first day of kindergarten. He just loved it so much.) The boys wore it as a p.j. shirt; it practically touched the ground when they walked, and they wore it until it stopped covering their belly button.
I sat looking at George and felt the loneliness of not having a little one anymore. My heart just kind of hurt for a minute. It's so sad when your kids get all big and grown, but it's happy too.
Little birds gotta fly away.
But the Curious George shirt will be in my sock drawer until I die.
No comments:
Post a Comment