This time of year gave me butterflies for all of my childhood,
and again once Alexandria started Pre-K in 2002.
Today was different.
Today was another homecoming.
This was Alexandria and Abraham's school until we moved.
The halls are literally memory lane.
Time is frozen.
I expect to turn the corner and see them be 4 and 7 again.
They were so sweet and tiny.
I left so much in the dust when we moved.
Not just people and places.
Not just things.
But dreams and hopes.
And a big part of my soul.
For years, I couldn't even think about it without having an emotional reaction.
I think that's called post traumatic stress.
But that's all over now.
I love this school.
It has always been what I've dreamed for my kids, and it was really hard to leave it behind.
I mourned the beloved teachers who comforted when morning goodbyes were too much to bear.
The ones who validated my suspicions that my children are brilliant.
The ones that put on mothers' day breakfasts that were fit for a queen.
The ones who I trusted to make my kids feel just as special as my early teachers made me feel.
There is love in the air at this school, and you don't find that just anywhere.
As I walked over to pick up Matthew, 3 words danced around in my mind.
I might have even been whispering them to myself, but I don't even care.
"Dream come true, dream come true, dream come true," is all I could think or hear.
I was walking in a dream; only it was real.
I am overcome with gratitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment