If you know me, you know that back to school week is the bane of my existence.
I cannot begin to tell you how expensive and time consuming it is to get all the pencils, pens, rulers, calculators, binders, dividers, markers, crayons, water colors, index cards, hand sanitizer, scissors, sharpies, lunch boxes, backpacks, shoes, socks, clothes, etc.
Just when you think you've gotten everything, there's always one more thing.
And there's always something you can't find.
The first few days seem like we're on a wing and a prayer; even more than my everyday life that also feels like we're on a wing and prayer.
The kids had new schools the last 2 years and that's always rough.
It's just a stressful week; like shopping-at-Walmart-on-Christmas-eve-times-a-hundred.
Abraham had a major growth spurt over the summer,
so very little of what I bought at the used uniform sale still fit.
We went shopping today to fix the problem.
There's exactly one store in town that sells for our school.
Back in the corner, the pants were arranged on floor-to-ceiling shelves with some cryptic labeling system. There were also rows of shelves across the length of the room; perfect for the salespeople to drape themselves over and have personal conversations.
After a few minutes of trying to figure out what sizes were where, I noticed that the two salesgirls had finished their talk. I smiled at one girl as a cue that I needed help and I asked her where the 12's were.
Still draped over the shelf, and with the speed and enthusiasm of a baby sloth, she raised her arm and pointed at the wall of shelves. I was set aback, but decided to give her the benefit of the doubt. I leaned into the general area of her point. She said, "see that sign that says 10? Look up."
Yeah, not my favorite, but I'm still kinda going along at this point.
I picked them up and they looked really small. I asked her if they had other cuts because I had seen on the website that they had several available.
This is when things started to really go downhill because she rolled her eyes at me.
I remember looking at her name tag, and seeing BONNIE. I didn't really process the words that came out of her mouth after that.
She said something about pleats, and kinda formed a question while still exuding overall annoyance.
Miss Bonnie knew she was in trouble when she saw me smile and tilt my head to answer whatever halfhearted question she had asked me.
Aiya tells me it's creepy when I smile even though I'm mad.
I'm sure Bonnie agrees.
I said, "you know what, if you don't want to help us I'll find someone else who will."
I was so shocked, but I didn't have the life force in me to even argue.
She started walking towards me and sputtering, "um...no...I."
I simply said "no" and kept looking through the pants.
She was right beside me when she suddenly became helpful and offered another question,
I cut her off by saying, "nope, don't worry about it."
I mean, I shut her down.
I felt her attitude deflating like a punctured balloon spirals to the ground.
I wasn't even mad anymore. My job was done.
I heard her sigh, and I walked away to the dressing rooms;
my family of 4 following closely behind.
I had to walk back over and I kid you not, Bonnie was being the employee of the month.
I'm glad the other patrons had the benefit of the new and awakened Bonnie.
It was my contribution for the day.
I'm seriously the nicest customer a clerk could ask for, but I will not tolerate rudeness.
No comments:
Post a Comment